HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla.--The 2021 Pegasus World Cup Invitation Stakes continued to be the premier horse racing event, requiring equine athletes to compete free of any medications. It was held at Gulfstream Park, Hallandale Beach, last Jan. 23.
If you’ve missed this year’s event, worry not.
Outlined below are the 2021 Pegasus World Cup entries and results.
Only 12 runners were allowed in the field.
These racehorses are some of the most celebrated names in the industry. Take a close look at the 2021 contenders.
● LAST JUDGEMENT. This horse was a late addition to the race. Late Judgement managed to seize a win at the Sunshine Classic Stakes one week before the Pegasus. The trainer is Mike Maker, and the owners include Michael Dubb and Nice Guy Stables.
● Coastal Defense. The 2021 Pegasus World Cup was only the tenth run of Coastal Defense, with trainer Dale Romans and owners Albaugh Family Stables and Helen K. Groves Revocable Trust.
● Harper’s First Ride. The Maryland-based runner’s speed figures get along with this group and have won two races in a row in 2021. MCA Racing Stable LLC owns Harper’s First Ride and is trained by Jose D’Angelo.
● Sleepy Eyes Todd. This horse is an incredible runner, winning two stakes races in a row, including the Breeder’s Cup undercard. This gray horse is owned by Thumbs Up Racing, LLC and trained by Miguel Angel Silva.
● Mr. Freeze. This horse was a runner-up in the 2019 Pegasus World Cup. Mr. Freeze is owned by Gerald Isbister and Jim Bakke and trained by Dale Romans.
● Kiss Today Goodbye. Kiss Today Goodbye was the surprise champion of the San Antonio Stakes G2 at Santa Anita Park against 2020 Pegasus winner Mucho Gusto. The horse is owned by Grupo John Sondereker and trained by Eric Kruljac.
● Code of Honor. This horse has won the Jockey Gold Cup G1 and finished second in the Kentucky Derby. Code of Honor is owned by W.S. Farish and trained by Shug McGaughey.
● Jesus’ Team. This 4-year-old horse is owned by Grupo 7C Racing Stable and trained by Jose D’Angelo.
● Math Wizard. Math Wizard is trained by Saffie Joseph Jr. and owned by Cash Is King, LLC.
● Tax. This horse has won the Harlan’s Holiday, the local prep race for the Pegasus. Tax is owned by Hugh Lynch, Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, and Hill Stable. What’s more, he is trained by Danny Gargan.
● Knicks Go. Knicks Go was unbeaten in his three starts in 2020 and will try to follow in the footsteps of City of Light (2019 Pegasus winner). The colt is owned by Korea Racing Authority and trained by Brad Cox.
● Independence Hall. Since he finished fifth in the Malibu Stakes G1, the Pegasus World Cup will be the first start for Independence Hall. Michael McCarthy trains him, and the owners include Twin Creeks Racing Stables and Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners.
Odds and Positions
Check out the post positions and odds for the 2021 Pegasus World Cup Invitational Stakes.
Number Horse Name Odds
1 Sleepy Eyes Todd 8-1
2 Coastal Defense 15-1
3 Independence Hall 20-1
4 Knicks Go 5-2
5 Jesus' Team 8-1
6 Kiss Today Goodbye 10-1
7 Tax 5-1
8 Harper's First Ride 10-1
9 Last Judgement 20-1
10 Code of Honor 9-2
11 Mr. Freeze 15-1
12 Math Wizard 20-1
Knicks Go dominated the $3,000,000 race at Gulfstream, taking the early lead and crushing it out the top of the stretch.
The race belonged to the gray horse who disproved his doubters and ran his challengers fragmented.
The horse’s excellent presentation of athletic prowess coped well for the return of the horse racing event and delivered a measure of vindication to trainer Brad Cox.
Knicks Go’s 60 percent cut of the total purse only confirms that he can run longer than a mile.
The 2021 Pegasus World Cup is the fourth consecutive win of Knicks Go since moving to his trainer’s barn.
The horse’s victory does intensify for his connections, who decided to race Knicks Go throughout this year and set him off for stud next year.
Here are the finishing places of the other horses:
● Jesus’ Team - 2nd place
● Independence Hall - 3rd place
● Sleepy Eyes Todd - 4th place
● Code of Honor - 5th place
● Coastal Defense - 6th place
● Kiss Today Goodbye - 7th place
● Last Judgement - 8th place
● Math Wizard - 9th place
● Tax - 10th place
● Mr. Freeze - 11th place
● Harper’s First Ride - 12th place
Get ready for next year’s race and watch out for live pegasus odds.
The fifth edition of the Pegasus World Cup welcomed 1,500 fans to the course for the first time since the pandemic.
Despite the low attendance, the race’s total handle reached $40.7 million, thanks to the online betting sites.
While the 2021 Pegasus World Cup was held differently than the past years, it did not disappoint.